Monday, September 17, 2012

Mmmm. Coffee.

My 7 year old son climbed into my bed this morning just after the alarm rang at 6:30am.

I said, "Do you know what I need?" (The answer was supposed to be, a hug.) 

He answered, "A jumbo coffee?" 


Well, yes, come to think of it, that *is* what I need!


I love really good coffee.  I love the smell of it, the taste of it, the warmth as I hold a cup of coffee in my hands.  It is a comforting way to start my morning.  As summer now moves toward fall I am reminded that one of life's great pleasures is sitting on the porch swing in the cool morning air sipping a fresh, hot cup of coffee.  I like the effect of the caffeine, but I could easily do without it (and have done so in the past).  It isn't so much the caffeine, but the full sensory experience of the coffee that holds me in the grip of this morning habit.   

The good news is that there are more and more studies suggesting that moderate coffee consumption may offer some health benefits.  As to how coffee fits into the Primal Blueprint, Mark Sisson recommends that if it doesn't cause you problems and it's not used as an energy crutch it's probably OK.  Even Mark enjoys a morning cup with cream and (gasp!) a teaspoon of sugar.  I don't sweeten my coffee.  I prefer it with a splash of whole milk but will drink it black if there is no whole milk available.

So this morning, encouraged by the thought of fresh brewed coffee and remembering that the leftover Italian sausages were still in the fridge, I hopped out of bed anticipating breakfast. 

While my coffee was brewing in the French Press I fried up some farm-fresh eggs in bacon fat and warmed up the sausages in the toaster oven.  I rounded out the meal with a handful of cherry tomatoes.  What a great start for a Monday!

BREAKFAST
2 eggs fried in bacon fat
2 Italian sausage links
cherry tomatoes
coffee with whole milk

After breakfast I was off to work.  One of the nice benefits of where I work is that my office is located in a large shopping area.  This means if I have shopping to do I can usually step out on my lunch break and get it done.  Today I visited Earth Fare for lunch.  This gave me the opportunity to finish off the week's grocery shopping and pick up something tasty for my lunch from their hot bar of prepared foods. 

My grocery cart contained a bunch of fresh fruits and veggies, an African spice mix, some canned pumpkin, prepared frozen foods (which make a quick, easy option when packing lunches for the kids), Greek yogurt and milk.  My yummy lunch for today was some chicken and veggies from the hot bar.  I brewed a cup of coffee after lunch.  I don't usually have any after my morning cup, but I had been thinking about the planned topic for today's blog post and I had coffee on the brain.

LUNCH
Mediterranean Chicken (cooked with olive oil & herbs)
Roasted Brussels Sprouts (also cooked in olive oil)
Sesame Kale (with sesame oil and tamari)
cup of coffee with non-homoginized, organic whole milk.

Tonight was clean out the fridge night for dinner.  I made omelets for my husband and daughter using up the last of the sausage and cooked veggies from the last few nights.  My son had the remaining chicken drumsticks from a couple nights ago, some strawberries and leftover rice from his dinner last night at the sushi restaurant.  I made a big salad for myself.

DINNER
Big salad:  Lettuce, Fra' Mani Rosemary Ham, Dutch Gouda cheese, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, basil, cucumbers, broccoli, avocado, Garlic Gold Sea Salt Nuggets, Tessemae's Lemon Garlic dressing

Pouring rain and a satisfying dinner caused me to lose my motivation to attend the yoga class planned for this evening.  Instead I poured a glass of red wine, dished up a few raspberries with some mascarpone cheese and cut a few more slices of that yummy Gouda cheese for dessert.  Then I spent the night at home with the family.  I wish I had had some slivered almonds on hand to add a bit of crunch to my berries for dessert.  I need to add that to my shopping list for next week.

DESSERT
Raspberries with Mascarpone
Sliced Gouda
Red Wine


No comments:

Post a Comment