Friday, July 15, 2011

TWO-FER

I started writing a post yesterday, but then I got sucked into a "making of Harry Potter" program on TV last night and never finished. So today you get a twofer. Two days, one post. I'll go in reverse order starting with today.

===========================
Friday, July 15, 2011

BREAKFAST
--------------------
I stopped at the bakery for a small whole-milk latte this morning after dropping the kids off at camp. That was enough for breakfast for today. (Notice a trend?)

I worked from home today and dashed out to a nearby cafe to grab a take-out lunch. Martin's Curry Rice offers a build-your-own curry bowl that is made with fresh ingredients, many sourced from local farms through the Western Wake Farmers' Market. It was quicker than making my own lunch and full of the same quality ingredients that I use in my own cooking.


LUNCH
-------------------
Sunfish, kale, zucchini, squash, onions and broccoli with just a splash of curry sauce (half sweet and half hot) all cooked up in a skillet with ghee (they usually cook without added fat -- I have to ask for the ghee). I skipped the rice, but doubled up on the delicious raita (yogurt cucumber sauce).

SNACK
---------------------
Large mug of French Press coffee with a splash of organic whole milk
1 square (10g) 88% dark chocolate

After a full day of work we picked up the kids from camp. The plan was to have a snack and go on a family bike ride. My snack was a small salad.

SNACK
---------------------
Small salad: mixed baby lettuce, purslane, crumbled bacon, sungold tomatoes, avocado, fresh herbs, carrots, champagne vinaigrette.

Kathryn (10 year old daughter) decided she was too tired from a full day of summer camp for a bike ride. Evan was pretty tuckered out too, but he still wanted to ride, so it turned out to be just the 2 of us. Evan has a bit of a disadvantage: shorter legs, smaller bike wheels and only one gear. He can manage the downhills like nobody's business (in fact, he makes me a bit nervous considering he's only been riding for a few short weeks), but the uphills, well, they're not really his thing. In fact, his bike is a pretty hefty weight for its size and he struggles just to walk the bike up the hills. The end result is I end up walking 2 bikes up the hills and then chase after him on the downhills. We managed to get in a good 30 mins together (which was impressive considering how tired he obviously was) before I made him call it a day. I went back out for another 30 mins on my own just so I could actually ride a while.

We've had the most incredibly beautiful weather the last couple of days (low humidity with highs in the 80s) and it's supposed to continue throughout the weekend. It makes it so easy to want to get outside to move and play. I'd complain about work getting in the way, but with the job market and economy what it is, I think I'll just grateful to have a good and enjoyable job where I can reasonably balance my time between work and play.

MOVE / PLAY
----------------------
30 min bike ride with son (lots of walking 2 bikes up hills)
30 min bike ride on my own (finally got to ride a bit!)

I cooked up some easy lemon and basil chicken drumsticks for dinner. Coat chicken skin in bacon fat, sprinkle on course sea salt and fresh basil, place in baking dish with lemon quarters, bake at 450 until done (internal temperature is 165
° F). The crispy, lemony skin is so yummy!


DINNER
---------------------
Lemon and Basil Chicken Drumsticks (I had 2 -- too yummy not to have seconds)
Kale sauteed in bacon fat and dressed with tamari and toasted sesame oil
Fresh organic cherries
Heirloom tomato slices
Dry vodka martini with 3 olives

===========================
Thursday, July 14, 2011:

BREAKFAST
-------------------
Stopped for a small whole-milk latte at LaFarm this morning on the way into the office.

Stand: work, work, work.

LUNCH
------------------
Take-out from Earth Fare prepared foods:
Herb crusted beef tenderloin (organic, but not necessarily grass-fed)
Broccoli salad with bell peppers, cranberries and a very little bit of mayo
Cucumber dill salad with onions in olive oil and vinegar


SNACK
--------------------
1 serving of dark chocolate with almonds & sea salt

Stand: work, work, work.
Sit for meeting.

SNACK
--------------------------
Fresh berries with creme fraiche

Stand: work, work, work.
Go home, change clothes, hit the trails for a hike/run on this amazingly beautiful 85° F day!

MOVE / PLAY
-------------------
Really amazing trail run today (same location where I took these pictures last year)! I ditched my usual hand-held items for this run so I had less gear with me. The air felt wonderful and I felt light and free! This is one of those dangerous runs when it all feels so good that I'm tempted to do way more than I should. Having learned this lesson the hard way several times in the past, I stuck with a single 3 mile loop (though I was seriously tempted to do a second loop)!

We had breakfast for dinner (bacon and eggs). I followed that up with a salad and then some wine and chocolate for dessert. I don't have a picture to share; you'll have to use your imagination.

DINNER
---------------------
Cane Creek Farm Life-Altering Ossabaw Hog Bacon
Two Bridges Farm Incredible Eggs (fried in bacon fat)
Salad made with mixed baby lettuce, purslane, carrots, sungold tomatoes, avocado, green onions, champagne vinaigrette.

DESSERT
---------------------
7 Deadly Zins red wine
1 serving dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt


No comments:

Post a Comment